On June 21, 2021, Council for the Town of Newmarket passed a by-law requiring Personal Wellness Establishments obtain a business licence in order to operate within the Town. Business licences will be required by business owners directly and not individual Personal Wellness Attendants. For a review of the process that took place that led to these regulations being adopted, please visit www.heynewmarket.ca/pwe.
As of January 21st, 2022, the Town of Newmarket's Licensing Division will accept Business Licence Applications for Personal Wellness Establishments. For a copy of the application, please click here. To review the new regulations, please refer to the Town's Business Licence By-law here.
Business owners seeking to apply for a Personal Wellness Establishment Business Licence are encouraged to review our PWE Fact Sheet and contact the Town's Licensing Division to get more information on the application process. The Licensing Division also encourages all interested stake holders or residents to provide additional feedback by contacting:
Town of Newmarket, Licensing Division
Phone: 905-953-5300 ext. 2221
On June 29th, 2020 the Town of Newmarket passed a
Business Licencing By-law requiring Pet Stores to obtain a licence to operate within the Town.
Fees and Licence
The annual business licence fee for Pet Stores is $150. Recognizing that the By-law was adopted on June 29th. 2020, the Town is prepared to reduce this fee by 50 percent. Therefore you will only be required to pay
$75 in 2020.
As a result of COVID-19, the Town of Newmarket has made changes to the application process in an effort to support local businesses.
First, the $50 application fee that is usually required to be submitted with any Business Licence application has been waived.
Second, the Town is offering a 90 day deferral of the $75 licence fee for any businesses that provide documentation to support financial hardship.
Completed Applications can be emailed to
Summary of Regulations
The summary below is provided for convenience only and is not comprehensive. For the full regulations please see the
Business License By-law.
- All Pet Stores must be maintained in a sanitary, well-ventilated clean condition and free from odours
- All animals must be kept in sanitary, quarters, and at appropriate temperatures
- All cages must be appropriate sizes, be equipped with receptacles for food and water, etc.
- Food and fresh water must be provided daily as appropriate for animal
- All licensed pet stores must:
- provide to the purchasers of a cat or dog a health assessment from a licensed Veterinarian
- only permit cats or dogs in the store for the purposes of sale animals from municipal animal shelters, registered human societies, registered shelters, or a recognized animal rescue group
- provide all cats or dogs reasonable exercise
- not sell any animal until it has reached the normal age for weaning
- provide purchasers with all available information pertaining to the sale of the animal including a receipt showing the name and address of the vendor and purchaser, the date of sale, the sale price, the breed or crossbreed, sex, age, and description
- maintain a registry of each dog or cat purchased which includes the date of purchase, description of the dog or cat, name, address, and contact information of the person from whom the animal was obtained